Basis for a Positive Future
In times of crisis and necessity, extraordinary solutions are called for. We are now living in such a period. Only by recognizing a greater positive context in which we can truly embrace everyone, will we reach beyond suffering and conflict and usher in a new era in which war, conflict, and adversity can eventually become anachronisms.
This greater positive context has been expressed in diverse ways by many people over many centuries, and increasingly so, over the past decade. It is like a message from our higher, future selves trying to be heard. It speaks of a greater whole, the interconnectedness of all life, or an innate spirituality that is shared by all, even though it may not be immediately recognized. This context offers everyone a foundation from which to forgive and reconcile perceived or manifest tribulations and suffering that humanity has inflicted upon itself and this planet out of fear and ignorance.
Let's take a quick look at a few indicators from the In Our Own Words 2000 (IOOW-2000) research that show widespread identification among American households with "positive future paradigm" values and beliefs:
Connection and Involvement
- 93% agreed that it is important to teach our children to feel connected to the earth, people and all life, and 69% "strongly agreed."
- 80% acknowledged that the earth as a whole is a living system, and 50% "strongly agreed."
- 91% "would like to be involved more personally in creating a better world at whatever local or global level" they can and 54% of all respondents "strongly agreed."
- 86% believed that we don't all have to agree to have a successful community.
- 68% believed we should be tolerant of all lifestyles and groups even if we don't like what they do.